Bimatoprost is a prostaglandin analog used as eye drops to control the increasing progression in the eyes. Hence the drops were very effective it also proved later that the eye care solution also gave healthy eye lash growth for eyes. This drug solution for eyecare is successfully marketed in US, Canada and Europe by Allergan under the trade name called Lumigan. Today widely used in different countries, the drop controls the progression of glaucoma in the management of ocular hypertension. It altogether reduces the pressure increased in the eyes by increasing the outflow of aqueous fluid by preventing excessive dryness in the eye.
Medically Bimatoprost eye care serum is used for the treatment of open- angle glaucoma and ocular hypertension in adults above 30 years. This is either alone or with the combination with beta-blocker.
The studies have successfully shown that Bimtoprost is more effective than timolol for reducing intraocular pressure. It is also very least effective as prostaglandin analogs latanoprost and travoprost in reducing IOP.
Dosage of Bimatoprost eye drops
It is advisable with general prescription to take the drug once during the day time in the evening.
- If more than one topical drug is used it should be administered 5 minutes apart.
- The drug solution should not be taken more than one drop as it may decrease the intraocular pressure by lowering the effect in the eye.
- Lowering of eye pressure starts within 4 hours after the first drop is put with the maximum affect reaching within 8-12 hours for giving relaxation.
- For 16 years old children the drug can be used once a while during the day time in the evening.
Side Effects of Bimatoprost eye drops
People who are frequently using this for hypertensive pressure or for healthy eye lash growth should know that sometime or may give side effects to your eye or in your body. You may experience various changes in the body such as blindness, blood eyes, blurred or watery vision and also colour vision problems.
Also many may be experience changes such as –
- Over bright appearance of lights
- Redness, burning, dry, or itching eyes
- Redness, pain, swelling of the eye, eyelid, or inner lining of the eyelid
- Tunnel vision
- Body aches or pain
- Difficulty with breathing
- Ear congestion
- Loss of voice
- Nasal congestion
- Blindness can also be the cause of the medication, the reason is the dosage should not increase but should be taken exactly as the doctor advices you.
- If in case of pregnancy one should consult the expert before taking the medication. According to medical it may not affect the infant but the result is unknown.
- It may also give excessive tearing from the eyes
- It may give sensitively when you are out in the sun
Precautions before taking Bimatoprost eye drops
- Show your doctor and let him examine your eyes regular before or while you are taking this drug solution
- In case of itching, swelling or other signs in your eyelid effecting the unwanted changes then immediately talk to your doctor
- The solution may give some less to severe side effects which should be shown to the doctor as soon as your pain or irritations grows more
- Check with your doctor if you have any injury or infection in your eyes or before or after the surgery so he may prescribe you with exact eye care tips with Bimatoprost.
- Always use the eye care solution with fresh bottle and avoid touching the lid with dirty hands
- If you are using this medication for eyelash growth than be careful while applying as directed by the doctor
- Always wipe off the excessive liquid that come across with other skin areas
- There is much potential for hair growth areas after using the medicine
- Changes may occur in the eye like it may turn to give you brown eye and also may be effectively show the result slow but know this is normal
- Knowingly or unknowingly the lashes of the eyes growth long, thick and very strong
- Always the medication is very useful under doctor’s advice – this helps to prevent the cause and effect of the medication
- If you are taking for hypertensive pressure than it is advisable continue with one drop in the evening with giving a gap for 15 to 20 days or as the doctor prescribes you